August 12, 2019
Attached you will find an outline of the class expectations and important course information for Spanish II Gifted. The goal is that we are working together as a team to ensure the best educational environment possible. Therefore, please take the time to discuss this information with your son/daughter.
I anticipate your son/daughter having a successful and productive year in the study of Spanish. To ensure a positive experience, it is important to maintain good attendance, good conduct and be consistent in completion of daily assignments. Homework assignments offer the opportunity for additional practice and are a check for understanding. The weekly assignments are posted on the website for the coming week to allow for students to work at their own pace to complete assignments on their due dates. I know that you want the best for your son/daughter and, hopefully, you will agree with the expectations listed.
The National Spanish Exam will be given in the spring of 2020. The cost of the exam is $7 and I would appreciate your donation for it by check made payable to Pine View School. The World Language Department was so pleased with the scores last year and some of the students were pleased even more with their monetary prize! Please send the check by Friday, August 23. Thank you.
After reviewing this information with your son/daughter, both of you should sign and return only the bottom portion of the last page. Keep this information for your future reference. Your signatures indicate that you understand the procedures.
Spanish II Gifted
Spanish II Course Information Sra. Pauling 2019-2020
This course continues to build on the skills that you learned in Spanish I. The aim of the course is development of all five language skills: reading, writing, listening, speaking, and cultural competence through the use of authentic materials. The goal of the course is to help you to develop the ability to communicate in Spanish, while at the same time be introduced to the Hispanic culture in a more in-depth manner.
Vocabulary and grammar will be reinforced throughout each chapter. Quarterly projects will be assigned to offer you the opportunity to research and verbally present an assigned topic. Continuous practice of the target language is a must – through assigned homework and participation in class you will begin to reach mastery. Chapters 1-4 will be completed in the first semester and chapters 5-8 in the second semester. A semester exam will be given in December and May.
- Students are expected to adhere to all classroom rules as outlined on the first day of school. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in consequences that will also be defined and communicated on the first day of school.
- Students are expected to adhere to and be familiar with Pine View policies regarding tardiness, attendance, academic honesty, and grading as stated in the Pine View Student Handbook.
- Completion of all homework assignments on the assigned date is essential to successful daily performance. Check the ActivPanel daily for the assignment, as well as the homework website. Every Friday afternoon the homework website will list the homework for the coming week.
- Since increased fluency and self-confidence in the language is a goal, you are expected to come to class prepared to participate in short conversations and respond to questions using appropriate syntax.
- To do well in this course, most students will need to develop independent study habits and to go beyond the minimum requirements. Depending on a student's abilities, this might involve extra grammar study, extra composition practice, outside reading, watching Spanish TV, searching for information on the internet in the target language, etc. If a student does not understand a concept taught in class, it is his/her responsibility to seek help from the teacher outside of class.
INTERNET USAGE, LANGUAGE TRANSLATORS AND COPYING AND PINE VIEW HONOR CODE
The use of a language translator or copying and pasting passages into an internet translating site is a form of cheating. The assignments given to you can always be completed with your textbook, notes from class and concepts already learned. Their purpose is for you to use and practice the language. It is obvious to the teacher when a student uses translators or outside reference materials. Also, copying from a neighbor’s test is cheating and will result in a “0.” Additionally, working “together” on a project/assignment does not mean that two identical papers are handed in and this too will result in a “0.”
First Offense: Student receives “zero” for the assignment/test/project, etc. Teacher contacts parent within 24 hours. Referral submitted for documentation. A conference between student, parent(s), teacher, and administrator will be scheduled.
Second Offense: In the same class or any other class during the academic year: Student fails the class in which the second offense occurred for the quarter. Referral submitted. High-School students referred to Academic Honor Council.
Third Offense: Referral submitted. A conference between student, parent(s), and principal will be scheduled, recommending placement to a regular districted school. Student receives a “zero” for the quarter. Grade is transferred to the receiving school.
Cell phones may be used for instructional purposes only. Students will be directed by the teacher when to take out and put away their device as needed. At all other times, cell phones and ear buds should not be visible during instructional time. Unauthorized cell phone use during class may result in a discipline referral.
Textbook: Descubre 2: Second Edition and Descubre 2 Cuaderno de práctica
MATERIALS Students must bring a folder, paper, and pen/pencil to class each day. Each student will receive a text book to be used at home.
- All tests or quizzes will be administered on Thursdays of each regular week throughout the school year.
- Your grade will be based on the following: Assessments/Essays: 65%, Employability/Homework: 20% and Projects: 15% No late homework will be accepted, unless excused absence.
- First semester exam and second semester exam are 20% of the individual semester grade.
- I can be contacted by calling Pine View School at (941) 486-2001 or email: Judit.email@example.comI am available for additional help in Room 303. Please make an appointment with us for the exact date and time.
- All the information contained within this letter, the course information, and other class related information is available online which can be found through the Pine View web site.
- Grades and attendance can be checked through Family Access Portal.
MESSAGE TO PARENTS/STUDENTS
Please read the course information carefully. Sign, detach and return the bottom portion of this form acknowledging that you have read it, understand it, and accept the policies and procedures listed within this document. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Parent/Guardian Signature: _____________________Student Signature_____________________Date_____________________________
Parent/Guardian Print Name: ___________________Student Print Name: ___________________Date_____________________________